1. The Zambia Legal Information Institute (ZambiaLII) maintains this website to enhance free public access to legal information from Zambia. Our goal is to keep this information timely and accurate. If errors are brought to our attention, we will try to correct them.
This information is:
- not necessarily comprehensive, complete, accurate or up to date;
- sometimes linked to external sites over which ZambiaLII has no control and for which ZambiaLII assumes no responsibility;
- not professional or legal advice (if you need specific advice, you should always consult a suitably qualified professional).
2. ZambiaLII, members of its staff and its contractors shall not be liable for any financial or other consequences whatsoever arising from the use of information or data contained on this site, including the inappropriate, improper or fraudulent use of such information or data.
3. ZambiaLII does not invite reliance upon, nor accept responsibility for, the information it provides. ZambiaLII makes every effort to provide a high quality service. However, neither ZambiaLII, nor the providers of data on ZambiaLII, give any guarantees, undertakings or warranties concerning the accuracy, completeness or up-to-date nature of the information provided. Users should confirm information from another source if it is of sufficient importance for them to do so.
4. Hypertext links on ZambiaLII are (in most cases) inserted by ZambiaLII, not by the data providers. Automated insertion of hypertext links on ZambiaLII means that links will not be comprehensive or accurate in all cases. Neither ZambiaLII nor its providers of data, give any guarantees, undertakings or warranties concerning hypertext linking.
5. ZambiaLII reserves the intellectual property rights pertaining to the ZambiaLII website graphic, and navigation and functionality design.
6. Subject to the following paragraph and the stated conditions pertaining to prohibited use, legal materials published on the ZambiaLII website, such as legislation, regulations and decisions, can be copied, printed and distributed by Users free of charge and without any other authorization from ZambiaLII, provided that their use is personal and ZambiaLII is identified as the source of the document.
7. Use of legal materials published by ZambiaLII can be subject to additional conditions set by courts and government bodies claiming intellectual property rights relating to the documents. ZambiaLII makes an effort to indicate the existence of additional conditions on the pages of the relevant databases, but users remain responsible for checking whether their use of the documents is authorized.
8. ZambiaLII reserves its rights with respect to editorial content, such as summaries, indices, hyperlinks, etc. , as well as the various compilations. Commercial use of the work is strictly prohibited.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Information concerning usage of ZambiaLII
10. ZambiaLII does not disclose or publish information which identifies individual machines, or potentially identifying sub-groupings of addresses, without consent. ZambiaLII does publish aggregated information about usage patterns.
11. ZambiaLII reserves the right to gather more extensive information that stated above (i) about any attempted access to ZambiaLII which raise security issues (and, where necessary, to make disclosures to relevent authorities); and (ii) for network analyses on an occasional basis.
Personal information contained in ZambiaLII databases
12. ZambiaLII publishes comprehensive collections of court decisions with the consent of the public bodies concerned. The electronic dissemination of judgments is in concordance with the open court principle, instituted to ensure the impartiality and transparency of the judicial process by allowing access to the record of judicial proceedings, including judgments. Therefore, ZambiaLII operates on the core principle that all citizens and organizations should be provided with free, unconditional and unrestricted access to basic legal materials.
13. Some ZambiaLII databases contain personal information included in the decisions of Courts and Tribunals. ZambiaLII publishes these databases with the consent of the public bodies concerned.
ZambiaLII undertakes to monitor and delete from published judgments personal information as directed by law or a specific court order. ZambiaLII retains the right to remove personal information from judgments at its discretion where this is possible without distorting the meaning and context of the document.
14. Should you have concerns over personal information published on the ZambiaLII website, please contact us.
15. ZambiaLII users should note that there are legal limitations on the use, publication and dissemination of some personal information contained in ZambiaLII databases. It is the responsibility of ZambiaLII users to comply with the laws of the land.
Right to amend this privacy and security statement
16. We reserve the right to amend this privacy and security statement at any time. All amendments to this privacy and security statement will be posted on the website. Unless otherwise stated, the current version shall supersede and replace all previous versions of this privacy statement.
Last amended: 16 June 2017